It is expected nowadays for businesses to have a website or an app for their products and services. However, Café Bap doesn’t have either, which leads to frustrated busy and stressed consumers, and impacts the café business.
The Café Bap menu app is an intuitive and inclusive platform allowing customers to access the café product anytime, anywhere. My goal is to design a complete and stress-free experience to all customers.
To identify the customers needs and pain points, I conducted interviews and created empathy maps. My researchs revealed a primary user group (active adults with limited time to check the menu at the café) and the following pain points that needed to be addressed:
The actual menu is not accessible to those with limited vision and is very time-consuming
The lack of categorization and information makes it difficult for those with food allergies to choose quickly and confidently their orders
Make it accessible to all. In order to do so, the app has to be easy and quick to read and browse, and put an accent to possible allergens. I also think of adding a "cart" feature to allow busy customers to prepare a quick order-in.
Create a clean picture-oriented design to provide better access to users who are vision impaired
Add allergens-free menus and filters for quicker and intuitive navigation
Create a "favorites" and "cart" features so customers can quickly prepare their order in advance
My first step to better understand the users and their needs is to conduct users interviews. I was able to drew empathy maps and identify the users problem and pain points to adress for this project. Using those insights, I created personas to guide me in making relevant design choices.
To learn about the customers expectations and frustrations with the current solutions on the market, I completed a competitive audit of direct and indirect competitors and I created a user journey map. It was critical to understand what is already working and expected, and where are the opportunities for an obstacle-free user experience.
My researches made it clear that the design has to be intuitive and attractive. Users are used to picture-oriented menu which reassured me on my solutions.
I kicked off the design by sketching out low-fidelity concepts on paper after using the Crazy Eight method. My priority was to ensure all pages address user pain points. I also planned out a basic user flow for the lo-fi prototype.
I conducted a first moderated usablity study to identify a couple of new pain points my designs brought up. I then prepared an affinity diagram to find themes and proritize the updates to-be-made on the final hi-fi prototype.
Users weren't drawn to the middle of the page. I used a more prominent divider to highlight this feature
Users didn't notice the filter button. I opted for a scrollable, already visible list at the top of the page to fit to the users habits
Users didn’t understand what and why the cup feature stood for. I changed the wording and logo to make the feature more intuitive
This very first UX project was fun to make! Even though I'm not 100% satisfied with it, I learned how to empathize with the users through ideation, research and testing. I also realized that I'm not the user, and the importance of each steps of the process.
For the next steps, I'd like to make the following improvements:
Creating a one-button only feature on each page to change the text's size, font, color, background, to make it easier for those with impared visibility
Adding allergens labels on item page to improve navigation while highlighting important informations
Developing a search feature to filter items by allergens or ingredients (with an "including" and "excluding" button) to improve browsing